Utskrift från Malmö universitets webbplats www.mah.se

FAQ for Students at GPS

Read the information presented at this webpage before you apply for exchange studies. If you have already been nominated for exchange studies, please read: FAQ for nominated students. 

1. What are exchange studies?
2. Where can I go?

3. When should I apply?

4. How do I apply?

5. Can I submit my application per email or post?

6. What are the eligibility requirements?

7. What are the language requirements?

8. What is a Statement of Purpose and a Study Plan?

9. How do I pick my courses at the partner university?

10. Can I study a language course?

11. Can I get help with my application?

12. Can I apply even though I study freestanding courses?

13. Which semester should I study abroad?

14. Can I study abroad during two semesters?

15. I am a Master's student, can I study abroad?

16. I am not a Swedish citizen, can I still study abroad?

17. What happens if several students apply for the same place?

18. Can I study abroad on my own?

1. What are exchange studies?

To study abroad through an exchange programme means that you as a student spend one or two semesters of your education abroad at one of Malmö University’s partner institutions. The credits obtained during the exchange studies should be possible to include in a final degree from Malmö University. The exchange agreements guarantee that you will not have to pay any tuition fees. You apply for an exchange place through your department (GPS) and the department nominates candidates. After you have been selected you will receive information about your application to the partner university.

2. Where can I go?

There are different types of exchange programmes for studying abroad.

an Erasmus+ exchange means that you study at one of our partner universities in Europe.

a governmentally funded exchange programme that makes it possible for you to study in a developing country. It includes a scholarship of minimum 20 000 SEK.

Read more about Erasmus+ and Linnaeus-Palme.

Bilateral agreements: the agreements we have with universities outside Europe, for instance with universities in Australia, Asia and North America.

3. When should I apply?

The application period is one month; there are two deadlines per year: 15 February to 15 March and 15 September to 15 October. Exchange opportunities are announced 6 months to 1 ½ years prior to the exchange semester.

4. How do I apply?

As a student of GPS you can select up to four universities; please note that you should rank the institutions in order of personal priority.
Read about the application process here.

Submit a printed version of your application with supporting documents in the box that is marked "Application for Exchange Studies: GPS" on the 5th floor, Building B at Niagara (at the exam boxes). Do NOT leave it at the International Office. Note that you have to submit two copies - one original and one copy, containing an application form and all other required documents. You thus take one copy of the original application. Staple each applications into two complete sets. Do not use paper clips. The paper version must be submitted before deadline, it is not enough with the electronic version in MoveOn. For questions concerning the submission, please contact the International Coordinator at GPS.

Decision regarding your application for exchange studies will be sent to you by email at least 15 days after deadline.

5. Can I submit my application per email or post?

We do not accept applications by email, but you are welcome to send it by post. If you send your application by post it must reach the International Coordinator no later than the first workday following 15 March/October. It is important that you post it on time! Students at GPS shall send it to:

Maria Wennerberg
Malmö University
Faculty of Culture and Society
205 06 Malmö

6. What are the eligibility requirements? 

Read the eligibility requirements for basic eligibility here
There may also be specific requirements for each country or university, which will be stated in the announcement.

7. What are the language requirements?

If you are applying to a university through Erasmus+, usually you do not have to prove your English proficiency (please see the current announcement for exceptions and specific details). However, if you apply to a university outside Europe, and the language of instruction is English, there are special requirements and you must submit specific documents.
Read more about language requirements.

If you are applying to a university and the language of instruction is not English, you have to submit:

  • Documents supporting your proficiency in the language of that country. This can be a certificate from a language course or your results from a language exam. 
  • If you do not have any such document, you can explain how you have learned the language and your level of proficiency in your Statement of Purpose. The exceptions to this is universities that require official documentation. See the language section in the announcement. 

8. What is a Statement of Purpose and Study Plan?

The Statement of Purpose is a personal letter in which you motivate why you want to study abroad. The letter should be one A4 page, maximum, in length. The letter should be written in English and if you apply to a country where the language of instruction is not English you also need to submit a translation (e.g. in Spanish, French or German). Read more about Supporting Documents here.

In the Study Plan, which is part of the online application form, you state which courses you wish to take at the partner university. The number of Study Plans depends on the number of universities that you are applying to (maximum four).

9. How do I pick my courses at the partner university? (For the Study Plan) 

You must familiarise yourself with their system and find courses, equivalent to 30 credits at Malmö University, that are relevant to the degree you are pursuing at Malmö University. The courses that will be offered for the semester you are applying for may not be available at the time of the application. You have to base your selection on the information available when you apply, for instance last years courses.

A good idea on where to start is to look for the incoming/inbound landing page at the host university's website. To search the host university website to find courses, you should look for units/subject/courses/modules (the names vary by university). Sometimes you need to click on specific programmes to access various subcourses. If you cannot find relevant courses, you can list subjects or programmes that are interesting to you.

The selection of courses that you include in your application is not final. If you are nominated your course selection will probably change several times before you travel. If you study abroad during your elective semester, the choice of courses is more or less optional. If there are any restrictions regarding electing courses, this will be stated in the announcement.

A lot of students want help with selecting courses, but you have to use your own judgement.

10. Can I study a language course?

As a student at GPS you cannot study only language courses during your exchange. However, some of your courses can be language courses.

11. Can I get help with my application?

In connection to each announcement of exchange places there is at least one information. At the meeting, you will get information about the application process and you will have the opportunity to ask questions.

12. Can I apply even though I am studying freestanding courses?

Yes. If you are studying freestanding courses you have the same opportunities as students on programmes to apply for exchange studies, provided that you intend to get your degree from Malmö University. In order to prove this, you need to attach a study description in which you describe how you plan to obtain your degree.

13. Which semester should I study abroad? 

If you are enrolled in a programme, the elective semester is best for studying abroad. Here is a list over elective semester in the various GPS programmes (for students admitted to programmes from autumn 2017):

European Studies: semester 4
Human Rights: semesters 3 and 4
International Migration and Ethnic Relations: semester 5
International Migration and Ethnic Relations, two-year master: semester 3
International Relations: semester 4 (see further information below*)
Mångfaldsstudier: semester 5
Peace and Conflict Studies: semesters 4 and 5
Political Science: Global Politics, two-year master: semester 3
Statsvetenskap: Politik, organisation och ledning: semester 5

* For students of International Relations: semester 4 is an elective semester and ideal for exchange studies. However, you can also use the 5th semester for exchange studies, but it is highly recommended that the selected courses are in an IR-relevant field and on a similar level to the course In–Depth Studies in Global Politics (see programme syllabus). Make sure you have selected a university where the autumn semester ends before mid-January since you need to be present in Malmö for the introduction of the 6th semester.

14. Can I study abroad during two semesters?

You can apply for exchange studies during two semesters depending on your programme. 

  •  If you are applying for two semesters at the same university: submit one application
  • If you are applying for two semesters at two different universities: submit two separate applications.

Some places are more popular than others, so please detail your priority semester in your Statement of Purpose. If you wish to apply for different universities, check the Academic Calendars to make sure it is actually possible to combine the two semesters.

15. I am a Master’s student, can I study abroad?

Students on the two-year IMER Master’s programme as well as the two-year Political Science: Global Politics Master can apply for exchange studies.  

16. I am not a Swedish citizen, can I still apply?  

Yes. Everyone can apply for exchange studies, regardless of nationality. However, this one exception. For places within the Linnaeus-Palme programme, you must be a Swedish citizen or a permanent resident.

17.What happens if several students apply for the same place? 

If we receive more applications than there are places, we will compare the applications. We will look at academic merits and course selection but we will also asses the Statement of Purpose. We will  discuss which student will be a good representative for Malmö University and assess the student’s language skills. We might conduct interviews. 

18. Can I study abroad on my own? 

Of course! To plan your studies abroad on your own gives you lots of options. But it requires a lot of work on your part. You have to find all the information you need and contact the university yourself. It will also be your responsibility to complete the application, arrange courses and to take care of other practical matters. Remember that you might be required to pay fees, which you do not have to if you go as an exchange student. Contact the university directly and ask for information and application materials.

Find further information about studies on your own.

Last updated by Maria Wennerberg