Utskrift från Malmö universitets webbplats www.mah.se

Studies on your own

If you don’t find a preferable university among our partner universities, you can study abroad on your own. You’ll then have more cities, countries and universities to choose from - the whole world is open!

Important things to think of:

  • You’ll have to find out all the facts about the university and apply on your own as an "international student" (or Free mover)
  • You’ll most probably have to pay a tuition fee (which you never have to do if you go as an exchange student through Malmö university)
  • No credit transfers are assessed or guaranteed in advance! If you want to apply for credit transfer, it has to be done afterwards on a specified form, together with the foreign grades
  • You will have to arrange all practical things on your own; such as visas, accommodation, insurances, etc.

Freedom of choice and responsibility:
Arranging your studies abroad gives you great freedom of choice. You decide where you want to go, what you want to study and for how long. It also however requires a significant effort from you. You must yourself arrange with all information, contact with universities and government agencies, as well as handling course options, applications and everything else. If you know which country you want to go to, the embassies and consulates can often help you with initial information.

Find out early:
If you are eligible for student finance and want to apply for it, you need to check if the universities are recognized or subject to assessement. You need to find out what the cost of the courses/programs are and if they are eligible for student finance. You must ensure that you meet the entry requirements and have sufficient language skills.

Most likely, your Upper Secondary School/equivalent grades will have to be translated:
A translation template in English is available on the website of the Swedish National Agency for Education (Skolverket). If you need an approved translation, you can search for certified translators on the website of the Agency (Kammarkollegiet). NEVER send your original certificates. You can obtain a certificate showing your eligibility for higher education through the Swedish Council for Higher Education (Universitets- och högskolerådet, UHR).

Requesting application forms directly from the university:
You have to contact the universities directly and ask for information and application forms. Some countries have a central admission and others want you to apply directly to the university - it can also vary within a country. Fill in your application carefully. Incomplete applications may not be considered.

Private recruiters/counselors:
There are a number of private companies and organizations that recruit students to universities abroad. They have great knowledge of their universities and they usually help students with applications and everything associated for free, as they are funded by the university to which they recruit students. This means you have to pay tuition fees to "their" university. You have to find these institutions yourself, if you are interested.

Last updated by Carolin Lind