Malmö University 20 years – celebrate with us

Utskrift från Malmö universitets webbplats

Residence Permit

Find the right information

I am a non-EU/EEA citizen
I am an EU/EEA citizen

Non-EU/EEA citizens

If you are a non-EU/EEA citizen and plan to study at Malmö University, you must have a residence permit card. In order for you to get a decision in time to start your course or programme, it is essential that you apply for a residence permit immediately following your payment of tuition fee. 

You must apply for your residence permit from your native country or other country outside Sweden where you live permanently. You must have a valid residence card before you travel to Sweden. You apply at a Swedish embassy or consulate in the country you are living in. You can apply for a student residence permit online at the Migration Agency's website.

How to apply for a residence permit for studies at a university or university college

To be granted a residence permit you must intend to study, and:

  • be admitted to full-time studies  
  • pay your tuition fee
  • prove that you are able to financially support yourself throughout the planned study period 
  • have a valid passport

EU/EEA citizens

As an EU/EEA citizen you have the right of residence in Sweden and may study without a residence permit. You do not need to register with the Migration Agency once you arrive in Sweden. Although, students who are studying longer than one year, are recommended to register with the Swedish Tax Agency for a Swedish personal number, see the link below. 

Moving to Sweden

Having a Swedish personal number will help make everyday practicalities smoother while living in Sweden.

Last updated by Sabine Petersson