Utskrift från Malmö universitets webbplats www.mah.se

Parental leave and taking care of sick children (VAB)

Parental leave

You are entitled to parental leave on a full-time basis and with or without claiming parental benefit from your childs birth until it reaches the age of 18 months. After this point, you are entitled to remain on parental leave on a full-time or part-time basis if you claim your parental benefit for the time you are not working.

Apply for parental leave in Primula by no later than two months before you plan to begin your parental leave, or as soon as is possible. You have the right to be on parental leave during three periods per year. If you wish to take parental leave on a part-time basis, you must reach agreement with your manager about how your working hours will be structured.

Find out more from Försäkringskassan about parental benefit

Supplementary payments and annual leave when you are on parental leave

When you are on parental leave, the University will pay you 10% of your salary as a parental benefit supplement for those days when you receive the full amount of parental benefit from Försäkringskassan. You will not receive any supplement for days where the benefit is paid at the minimum level. To receive the supplementary payment, you must send in your confirmation of payment from Försäkringskassan to the SSC through the self-reporting system Primula on a monthly basis.

When you are on parental leave, you only accrue annual leave for those days when you receive the full amount of parental benefit from Försäkringskassan.

Find out more about taking annual leave during parental leave

The employer makes payments to your occupational pension during your parental leave. If you reduce your working hours without being on parental leave, these payments will be made according to how much you work.

Taking care of a sick child (VAB)

The term VAB (vård av barn) refers to when you have to stay home from work to look after a sick child. If the child has not yet reached the age of 12 years, you are entitled to temporary parental benefit from Försäkringskassan. From the 8th day, a doctors certificate will be required. For children with special needs, temporary parental benefit may be paid by Försäkringskassan even if the child has reached the age of 12. In this case, a doctors certificate will be required from the 1st day.

If you need to stay at home with a sick child, you must notify your manager. When you return to work, you must register your absence in Primula under the Parental leave tab. You can be off work due to a VAB situation for a whole or part of a day. You must apply to Försäkringskassan for remuneration.

Find out more from Försäkringskassan about taking care of a sick child

Absence due to a child’s birth or adoption

When your partner gives birth to a child, you are entitled to 10 days of leave, for which you receive remuneration from Försäkringskassan. This leave can also be awarded to a close friend or relative to a single parent. When adopting a child younger than 10 years, two parents can receive remuneration for five days each. These days must be taken within 60 days of the date of birth or adoption.

You apply for this leave in Primula, under the Parental leavetab. To claim remuneration, you must be apply to Försäkringskassan. Find out more from Försäkringskassan

Reduced working hours

If you have a child who is either below the age of 8 years or has not completed the first year of school, you are entitled to reduce your working hours by up to 25%. As a rule, your employer should approve a reduction in working hours until the child is 12 years old. This enables you to, for example, work shorter days, or to have one day off each week. Agreement must be reached with your manager about how your working time will be structured.

Pregnancy benefit

If you are pregnant and your work is either physically strenuous or involves a risk to the unborn child, you can apply to Försäkringskassan for pregnancy benefit. A prerequisite for the benefit is that it is not possible for you to be reassigned to more suitable work duties. Find out more from Försäkringskassan 

Do you have any questions?

If you have any questions about how you should register parental leave and VAB, contact the SSC